From The Desk Of President, AIOS
It is just about a month since AIOC -2016 & it has been a period of settling down, taking stock & planning for the future. The euphoria & hangover of the conference has died down & it is business as usual.
Few decisions have been taken:
- It has been decided to pay service tax on delegate fees but not on membership fees & other allied activities, based on professional advice from several sources.
- The alert notice issued by the DCGI on the intravitreal usage of AVASTIN has been reversed, though it is yet to become freely available to ophthalmologists in every part of India.
- The scientific committee, ARC & the IJO have begun work in right earnest to further build upon the solid foundation that we already have.
- All the AIOS Committees for this year are in place with an enthusiastic bunch striving to make a difference. You will find the details elsewhere in this manual
- A PG teaching webinar will be conducted on every Thursday between 3 to 4:30 pm covering the basics & the practical aspects of the entire gamut of ophthalmology.
Several challenges remain which we need to resolve together, to the extent possible:
- Increased duty on imported ophthalmic equipments & consumables
- Guidelines for conducting outreach programs & safeguarding the interests of the patient & the care giver.
- The issue of usage of off label drugs.
- To optimise the role of insurance sector in ophthalmology
- Improving & standardising the curriculum for post-graduation & fellowship in ophthalmology.
- Addressing differences between the trade & our members.
- 19,000 strong & still counting - to further enhance the number of members & many more.
We are under no illusion about what can be achieved in a year, but we can build upon the legacy handed over to us & leave something better for the future to work on. Do stay involved with the AIOS & feel free to share your thoughts, comments & constructive criticism.
None of us is as smart as all of us & the only thing that comes without effort is old age. So let us together strive for a better AIOS, a better future for each member of this wonderful organisation.
Yours in AIOS,
Dr. D. Ramamurthy
President, AIOS 2016-17.