World Glaucoma Week 2020 – 8th March – 14th March 2020
In India alone, over 1.2 crore people are affected by glaucoma with over 12 lakh of them losing their vision while 90% of them still remain undiagnosed. The corresponding figure for the world is 50%. So, World Glaucoma Association observes second week of March as World Glaucoma Week. The theme this year is “Beat Invisible Glaucoma.”
With this aim to raise public awareness, Dr RML Hospital in association with Glaucoma Society of India (GSI), All India Ophthalmological Society (AIOS) and Delhi Ophthalmological Society (DOS) organized a mass interactive session under the banner name of ‘World Glaucoma Week 2020’ at Atal Bihari Vajpayee Institute of Medical Sciences auditorium ON 11.3.2020. At the beginning, Prof. Ramanjit Sihota, head of Glaucoma services of AIIMS, Delhi delivered a "Public Awareness Lecture" during the event which was appreciated by one and all with an attendance of aprox 400 persons.
The ophthalmologists of Bhopal Divisional Ophthalmic Society carried out the following activities :
- Glaucoma Awareness walk on 8th march in Bhopal
- CME on Glaucoma on 12th march at GMC Bhopal under the patronage of Prof Kavita Kumar&Prof Salil Kumar along with Prof Vivek & Dr Aditi.
- Prepared pamphlets & Posters which were released by Hobble Health Minister & Minister of Publicity on 11th March.
These pamphlets & posters will be distributed in the entire state in all eye hospitals OPD,& posters will be affix in corridors of hospitals with the help of MP Govt.
ROS has done following activities on world glaucoma week ( 8- 14 march 2020 )1. Released a poster for public awareness
2. Playing a radio jingle all across Rajasthan for public education.
3. Our Glaucoma experts delivered three talks on different radio channels for awareness.
4. Our affiliated district societies has conducted several programmes on this occasion
- Press meet organized and articles about glaucoma were published in various local newspapers.
- Chief of glaucoma services, gave an awareness talk through FM Radio.
- An exhibition was organized and kept for the public display throughout the week.
- Glaucoma screening camp was organized for 400 employees of major garment franchisee.
- Awareness talk was given by one of our consultants to attenders of in patients.
- Pamphlet distribution & banner display at prominent places communicating about glaucoma and importance of family screening.
- Jointly with Tirunelveli Medical College Hospital and DBCS, awareness walk was organized, event flagged by District Collector, had around 250 participants.
The faculty participating in the activities were: Dr. Purvi Bhagat, Dr Kamini Prajapati, Dr Gunjan Tank, Dr Niharika Shah, Dr Wilhemina Chauhan.
9th March, Monday – Awareness seminar for institute staff - paramedical ( nursing, optometry ), non medical (administrative, helpers, security etc.) - In Gujarati Pics available on: https://www.facebook.com/groups/155701134467269/permalink/2771887632848593/
11th March Wednesday – PG competition - Debates (Non-Podium format )Topics -
Pics available on : https://www.facebook.com/groups/155701134467269/permalink/2774212869282736/
12th March Thursday – PG competition - Role Plays
- Timolol Vs PG analogues
- LASER PI Vs Observation - for PACS
- Medical R/ Vs SLT
- MMC Vs No MMC
- Lens extraction Vs No Lens Extraction - in PACD
- GAT Vs iCare
- RNFL imaging Vs Perimetry
- UBM Vs ASOCT
- Topics -
- Confirming compliance with treatment
- Counselling to improve compliance
- Counselling for trabeculectomy
- Counselling for prophylactic PI
- Managing a non-affording patient
- Counselling following a failed filtration surgery
- Managing a patient complaining about non improving Vn after trabeculectomy
13th March Friday – Faculty lecturesTopics: Gonioscopy, The new glaucoma drug - Rho kinase inhibitor, congenital glaucoma, LASERs in glaucoma, Trabeculectomy.
Pics available on: https://www.facebook.com/groups/155701134467269/permalink/2778372582200098/
Distribution of educational leaflets to patients registering at the Ophthalmic OPD during the week.
Dr. Purvi Bhagat ( 2018 )
Associate Professor & Head of Glaucoma Clinic
M & J Western Regional Institute of Ophthalmology
Ahmedabad, Gujarat, India.
- Rangoli display.
- Poster competition by optometrist intern.
- Presentation to patients along with interaction with them on glaucoma awareness.
- Wore glaucoma awareness T-shirt by all our hospital staffs.
- Distributed glaucoma pamphlets to patients.
- Radio program on awareness.
- Screened patients for glaucoma
Team Glaucoma, IGEHRC, Lucknow
Dr. Shakun Gupta, Senior Consultant & head of glaucoma department
Dr. Shweta Tripathi, Senior Consultant
Dr. Lubna, Fellow
Dr. Agarwal eye hospital and Sankar Eye hospital, Kancheepuram, Tamilnadu conducted the World Glaucoma Week 2020 between 8th and 14th March 2020. Various programs were conducted to increase the awareness among the general public about Glaucoma and its irreversible consequences on vision and daily life. Emphasis has been made about Glaucoma being the “Silent killer of Vision”
All the patients who came for glaucoma evaluation were given waiver of OPD consultation fees and reduced fee for glaucoma investigations. A glaucoma awareness program was conducted for the hospital staff regarding the vision threatening effects of Glaucoma and the various treatment options and Counselling methodologies for glaucoma patients.
Glaucoma Awareness pamphlets were distributed to the general public as a part of the week long celebrations. General public and joggers in the Collectorate grounds at kancheepuram, benefitted from the activity.
A glaucoma awareness talk was organized at Adhibhagavan Pharmacy College, Cheyyar for the Pharmacy students to increase the awareness of Glaucoma among college students. The talk was witness to 450 students and Dr. Moses Rajamani. M, interacted with the students.